SKINN is a new, not for profit organisation that is working to make the Shalesmoor, Kelham Island & Neepsend area better for everyone. We aim to improve the area by working on real projects with local businesses, residents, and organisations.
• Empower local residents and businesses to guide planning & development of the area.
• Protect, record & celebrate the unique architectural & industrial heritage of the area so that it can be part of the future of the area.
• Promote a positive perception of the area as a place for culture, business, living and leisure.
• Maximise the use of already existing resources. (river, spaces, skills, information)
• Build community ties amongst both businesses and residents.
• Safeguard the area from negative development.
Who we are?
Currently SKINN is run and managed by a core staff of four based in the CADS complex in Shalesmoor and is advised by a steering group of experts in the fields of regeneration, social enterprise, and culture.
How SKINN came to be?
There are several issues facing the area: environment, public space, negative development and negative perceptions. SKINN aims to deal with these issues through strategic thinking, planning, consulting and design.
How does SKINN work?
SKINN operates as a multi-disciplinary design agency made to develop and deliver real projects, taking large scale problems and finding ways to solve them, using the people, resources, projects, information already in the area.